313 S Bynum Road Phone: 816-697-2215
Lone Jack, MO 64070 Fax: 1-816-566-3784
Monday - Friday
7:00 A.M. - 3:30 P.M.
Comprehensive Guidance Program
The student is the focus of the LJHS comprehensive, developmental guidance program. In assisting the student developmentally throughout the high school years, the program makes a positive contribution to the overall educational opportunity. Counselors address the needs of all students in the following areas: Career planning and exploration, Knowledge of self and others, and Educational and vocational development. The counseling staff appreciates their responsibility as an integral part in the preparation of young people for a changing world. The program, proactive and preventative in orientation has four components:
Guidance Program Components
- Guidance Curriculum: Consists of structured developmental experiences presented systematically through classroom and group activities. The purpose is to provide students with knowledge of normal growth and development, to promote their positive mental health, and to assist them in acquiring and using life skills. There are 3 major areas within the curriculum: Career Planning and Exploration, Knowledge of Self and Others, and Educational and Vocational Development. Examples of topics include: Career Exploration, Decision-Making Skills, Study Skills, Post High School Decision-Making, Conflict Resolution, Personal Responsibility and Peer Relationships.
- Individual Planning: Consists of activities that help all students plan, monitor, and manage their own learning as well as their personal and career development. Within this component, students evaluate their educational, occupational, and personal goals. The activities here are counselor-planned and directed, generally delivered on an individual basis, or by working with individuals in small groups. Examples of topics include: Career Awareness, Transition Plans, Course Selection, Vocational Education Selection, 6-Year Plan, College Selection, Financial Aid & Scholarships, Immediate and Long Range Goal Setting.
- Responsive Services: Consists of activities to meet immediate needs and concerns of students, whether these needs or concerns require counseling, consultation, referral, or information. This component is available to all students and is often student-initiated. Strategies include: Consultation with parents, teachers, other educators, and community agencies; Personal counseling in small groups or individually; Crisis counseling for students and families in emergency situations; and Referral to outside resources to deal with crises such as suicide, violence, abuse, and illness.
- System Support: Consists of management activities that establish, maintain, and enhance the total guidance program. This component is implemented and carried out through activities in these areas: Professional Development, Staff & Community Relations, Consultation with Teachers, Advisory Councils, Community Outreach, Program Management, and Research & Development of guidance activities and resources.
The role of a counselor in the Lone Jack C-6 School District is to implement the Missouri Model Guidance Program through:
- Helping students develop career/life skills
- Supporting student academic achievement
- Providing individual and group counseling to students
- Providing support during any crisis situation
- Working with community agencies on referrals
- Working with parents, teachers, support staff, and the community
For specific programs contact: